Vikrant is in his late thirties .He was working in a leadership role in a mid size company , the company was not doing well for the past several months. He did not move out thinking the situation will be revived. The #management took a tough stance and asked Vikrant to leave. He got this blow when he was least expecting it.
Rachel is an HR Manager , she receives a call from her ex colleague , Maya enquiring if there are any opportunities for a #Technologist. Maya is trying to help her husband find a job as in the #IT downturn ,he is on bench along many of his colleague. Rachel is in a senior role and is well connected.
Shilpa works for an #NGO and often looks for sponsors to conduct welfare programs for rural development. She has a wide reach and is well known in the political and social #network.
Does these folks and situation seem familiar ??
Vikrant , Maya and Shilpa turn to their close aides in such situations.. Family provides the best shelter during tough weather, however a trusted group of professionals tide you over a career hurricane . When you climb up the ladder of your #profession, we often ignore the importance of having a reliable bunch of well wishers. Whenever there is a fall from a greater height , your professional safety network of friends , spare you the brutal crash .
In this age of digitisation , where the #milenials are hooked to use #socialnetwork and #GenX are re establishing their careers ,having a strong network is very crucial.
Some points to ponder while Networking :
- Be Active: We are all part of many social and professional forums on different networking site. It may not be possible to be online always. Ho#wever as a member of the group, you are expected to contribute. Whenever there is a need from a fellow member, be there to respond if you can. It is important to contribute, so that you have responses when you seek information.
- Be Genuine: Some members are all well connected and highly influential. However, when they are approached for a genuine connect or a support, they vanish. Remember that your current role or position is pivotal to many in your network, don’t just pretend to be there, “Be there” for your fellow colleague.
- Networking groups are not career sites: Networking groups are not career groups , do not expect to get you your dream job in any of the social networking seminars or programs. You can build your visibility , it does not guarantee you a job. Keep your ears open, but try not to be labelled as a “job seeker” within the forum. It dilutes your “ personal brand value.
- Avoid over marketing: Do not use your network to bombard with personal / company’s marketing information. Share the information with absolute tact and prudence.
- Choose the right forums : For HR folks there are established forums like #NHRDN, #HRIA, #MTHR, etc. Similarly each profession has its groups. Be associated with the right bunch of experts!
In the financial parlance, to increase your net worth by investing in SIP in your early years. For your professional security, start building your net work, early in your career, it will help provide you the comfort, when you need it the most!